By day I work 60 hour weeks. At night I am a devoted father and husband to the world's greatest family. Somewhere in the non-existent time between the two, I am a writer. Join me from the beginning as I chronicle my adventures to become a successful published author.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 84 - Flying Buttresses - Self Improvement

As I've been coming out of my funk and doing better and better with writing and blogging, I've realized just how important support and encouragement in writing is. When I was new to striving to write every day, it was fresh and exciting. I couldn't get enough of it, and often was frustrated that I did not have more time. Then I settled into organization mode. This is less exciting, but important. Then the problems started.

I began to join a few support groups: Author's Incognito, and even tried one of David Farland's writing groups, but it was a little complex and I didn't find the time to finish the joining process. I lost track of my Writer's Digest Magazines (in the expansion into the basement, my wife found a new place to put them as they came in...) and I generally found the AI Yahoo groups to be so time consuming and unorganized (Yahoo's fault, NOT AI's fault, who are awesome!) that I lost track of things easily.

So, in time, I lost my support. When it got tough or me to push forward, I had few sources of encouragement. This was no one's fault but my own.

I realized the other day that for me, I need support. I don't need heavy fortifications of earth, I need stable people and sources the lend their strength in key points. I need flying buttresses.

For those who don't know what a flying buttress is, here is a quick example of some:




and...