By day I work 60 hour weeks. At night I am a devoted father and husband to the world's greatest family. Somewhere in the non-existent time between the two, I am a writer. Join me from the beginning as I chronicle my adventures to become a successful published author.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 84 - Flying Buttresses - Self Improvement

As I've been coming out of my funk and doing better and better with writing and blogging, I've realized just how important support and encouragement in writing is. When I was new to striving to write every day, it was fresh and exciting. I couldn't get enough of it, and often was frustrated that I did not have more time. Then I settled into organization mode. This is less exciting, but important. Then the problems started.

I began to join a few support groups: Author's Incognito, and even tried one of David Farland's writing groups, but it was a little complex and I didn't find the time to finish the joining process. I lost track of my Writer's Digest Magazines (in the expansion into the basement, my wife found a new place to put them as they came in...) and I generally found the AI Yahoo groups to be so time consuming and unorganized (Yahoo's fault, NOT AI's fault, who are awesome!) that I lost track of things easily.

So, in time, I lost my support. When it got tough or me to push forward, I had few sources of encouragement. This was no one's fault but my own.

I realized the other day that for me, I need support. I don't need heavy fortifications of earth, I need stable people and sources the lend their strength in key points. I need flying buttresses.

For those who don't know what a flying buttress is, here is a quick example of some:




and...



Finally, to get a clear idea, here is an architectural drawing:






Essentially, a buttress supports a wall and connects along an entire side of the buttress, such as this:

 

As walls and structures get higher, their ability to support themselves diminishes. Things such as the outward pushing of ceilings, imperfect alignment walls that aren't perfectly straight, and even the shifting of the earth can cause them to topple over. The buttress allows the outward forces to be counterbalanced, preventing this from occurring. The problem with regular buttresses is that they require a large amount of material and must be up against the side of the structure itself.

Somewhere along the way in the 11th century, the concept of flying buttresses appeared. Someone realized that you only need to support a wall or building in key spots, typically higher up on a wall where it's more likely to sway. A solid column thus would be built away from the building, and attached with wood or stone. These create natural archways and even walkways to towers, open space, and just plain beautiful architecture.

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved flying buttresses. They are one of my favorite architectural concepts of all time, and if I ever have a castle, you can bet they will be a part of it.

The point of all of this is that with a flying buttress, each buttress is free standing. Their strength is within themselves, and they in turn through a small effort add support to an edifice. You need many of these along a structure to ensure stability in the long term.

Similarly, I did not have enough of these marvels in my own life when I began to struggle. With too few, my walls began to crumble from forces both within and without. Now I am building new ones and reinforcing them. I have found my Writer's Digest magazines and am reading them. I am reading other author blogs again. I am going to join a critique group, and I have started haunting the Sprint Writer's box just because it's good to see others writing or talking about writing. I am still reading the AI boards, and will look to add input again soon.

Each of these is a pillar that stand on their own. They are not dependent upon me. My walls also do not need them to give me all that they are and hug me close to keep me standing. Instead, each of them gracefully connects to me in key spots of my life, offering support where it is most needed. There is a balance: too few, and I crumble. Too many, and the structure becomes cluttered, confusing, and possibly even non-functional.

So there is what I am doing to improve myself this week: I am creating flying buttresses.

0 comments:

 
  • Total Pageviews