By day I work 60 hour weeks. At night I am a devoted father and husband to the world's greatest family. Somewhere in the non-existent time between the two, I am a writer. Join me from the beginning as I chronicle my adventures to become a successful published author.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 1 - In the Beginning...

Note: This blog post was originally posted Wednesday, May 11. See Day 5 to read about my travails with Blogger and their accidentally deleting my blog...


In the Beginning, there was Matt. And he beheld his years of unfinished writing projects, and...

Okay, just kidding. This blog will be readable without *too much* eye rolling! For now, let's just outline the nature of the blog, a syllabus or mission statement if you will:

1) I have in the past four years begun four different large-scale writing projects for eventual publication. None have made it further than a few chapters or sections, let alone brought to the level of a completed first draft. I intend to change that, beginning today.

2) Today is the day I get serious about my writing. Will I become a successful, published, professional full-time writer? The statistics say no, and if it doesn't happen, I love my job anyway. If it does, well... I'm not one to complain.

3) In light of this focused effort, I will establish myself in writing support and critique groups both online and in person, establish a blog for those who will undoubtedly find amusement as I navigate the perilous path of the publishing world and beleaguered attempts to find time to write, and more. The blog will contain clips of my writing and stories related to my effort, as well as future guest bloggers. There will be insights I want to share, and writing tips I think are great for everyone, myself included, to follow.

4) With this blog, I take the first step in creating the larger presence I need to successfully bring my works to a national audience. This is not out of vanity, but it is a key to success after the first draft is finished. Besides, with billions of people on the planet, surely a few of them will enjoy my writing. If I do well, then maybe more than a few. I believe the hardest work isn't the writing; it's helping the people who do care to find your writing. Over a period of time I will expand to a full website, twitter, Facebook fan-page, guest blogging, and more.

5) Finally, I hope to gain the support and friendship of those who learn of my quest. This is a first step, but life is complicated and difficult at times. I need all the encouragement and feedback I can get, so please sign up to follow me, make comments, correct me, offer new ideas, whatever you feel like. Improvement and progress are the name of the game.

I look forward to working with all of my readers on this fantastic journey from an inexperienced writer on a whim to a professional, experienced, storyteller and word craftsman.

0 comments:

 
  • Total Pageviews