By day I work 60 hour weeks. At night I am a devoted father and husband to the world's greatest family. Somewhere in the non-existent time between the two, I am a writer. Join me from the beginning as I chronicle my adventures to become a successful published author.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 20 - Memorial Day

I pondered writing Part IV of The Role of Morals in Writing today. Instead though I feel it most appropriate to take a moment to remember those who have served the United States and all countries in defense of freedom.

I do not agree with every war we fight, ever mission our soldiers are sent on, or the behavior of every soldier. I cannot agree though with those who choose to maliciously malign them, insult them, and categorize them as being immoral, murderers, baby-killers, and more. The reality is the vast majority of soldiers fight for honor, freedom, and the defense of the helpless.

My father, William D. Tandy Sr, joined the Air Force during Vietnam as an enlisted personnel. Later, he would go through Officer Training School after college and achieve the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He never viewed the military or the intelligence community which he worked in with the Air Force as being made of perfect people with perfect motivations, but he never wavered in his belief that the greater good was always the major moving force. On a personal side, my father, who lays in the hospital this Memorial Day with possibly incurable leukemia, was and is a good man. His service was one of honor, and I love him for it. My grandfather, who died several years ago, was also in the Army Air Corp, and is another example of someone who loved freedom and loved his country and fellow man.

Thank you to all those man and women in uniform who once served, do serve, and will serve their fellow man. You are an inspiration.

0 comments:

 
  • Total Pageviews