By day I work 60 hour weeks. At night I am a devoted father and husband to the world's greatest family. Somewhere in the non-existent time between the two, I am a writer. Join me from the beginning as I chronicle my adventures to become a successful published author.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 11 - Sunshine

It was stunningly beautiful for the vast majority of the day. So much so that I couldn't wait to get outside, leaving work and writing far behind. Writing wasn't really that far though. Certain events in the day, visuals that caught my eye and conversations I had made me think "You know, that may work in my novel!" I'm not becoming obsessed. These moments were a handful lasting just seconds, flitting through the mind and departing as a memory. Like my sentence a day, it's the small things that help move the story forward.

It has been a busy day: shopping with my wife and son, playing in the grass, going to the birthday party of a best friend’s daughter who just turned two, my in laws coming into town for the weekend (and staying with us), going out for dinner (Sean's Smokehouse in Saratoga Springs... best BBQ in Utah), playing games, and trying not to fall asleep. It was just too beautiful today to sit inside on the computer. 

I haven't written today. I still have an hour and fifteen minutes as of writing this sentence. Enough time to get at least a sentence in. The temptation is strong tonight to say that with family in town (in my living room to be exact) and a headache coupled with exhaustion, I would be fully justified in skipping a day. But I won't. It's easy to find perfectly legitimate reasons to call it a night and feel good about myself, but I think to me this blog and my writing says something about me personally: my work ethic, my dedication to my goals, and my ability to press forward in both good times and bad. I gave up so many times for so many years after just a few days of research or paragraphs of my books. 

So perhaps I am motivated out of a fear of failure. Perhaps it's a sense of honor. I also hope that there is someone who does now or will follow this blog and may be inspired to reach their own goals. Whatever the combination of these factors really is, the result is the same: I will write tonight. 



  

3 comments:

Matt - I really enjoy reading your blog. I'd love to interview you for my blog.

Great blog! I'm new to the blogging world too! Stop by if you want. :) katieonfiction.blogspot.com

Thanks Ted and Katie!

Katie, that's a nice blog. I had never heard of a Kudzu vine before, but the picture is great and I certainly have similar vines in my backyard. Devil plants, all of them. I signed on to follow you.;-)

Ted, would love to. Anything for a fellow thriller writer.

 
  • Total Pageviews