By day I work 60 hour weeks. At night I am a devoted father and husband to the world's greatest family. Somewhere in the non-existent time between the two, I am a writer. Join me from the beginning as I chronicle my adventures to become a successful published author.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 5 - Blogger Service Hates Me, Plus Day 3-4 Summary

No one will initially see this or possibly other posts for a few days (or longer). After triumphantly posting two days in a row, I logged on a third day to do another post, which is a record for me! However, instead of being able to work on my blog, I was greeted with the following message:

Blog not found
Sorry, the blog you were looking for does not exist. However, the name matthewtandy is available to register! 

Apparently, Blogger (a part of Google Services) went down sometime Thursday. They rolled everything back a couple of days, but a small percentage of people lost years of posts, and most lost their comments and post labels. An even smaller percentage, of which I magically am a part of, had their blog entirely removed... sort of. I can still see me original blog in my dashboard. It shows Day 1 post as editable, but my lengthier, and arguably more personally important second post is completely gone. It had a lot of thoughts on what has recently driven me to both blog and write. I don't know if I'll ever get that post back, so the short of it is that my dad's leukemia and the LDS StoryMaker's conference the first weekend of May have had a major impact on me.

Blogger says they are working to restore the missing posts and comments. Until yesterday, they didn't acknowledge the growing chorus of people like me who were missing their blog completely. For now, the answer is that they'll look into it, but won't make any promises. I am fairly confident they'll get me up and running again, since it's still in my dashboard. The question is when, and will it have my Day 2 post?

The blog is a major motivator to keep me writing. I have done none since the end of Thursday. Losing the blog took a lot of wind out of my sail. But I still checked in at Author's Incognito Yahoo Group, and regularly refreshed my blog, hoping it would be back. But no more. When/if it's back, great. In the meantime, I am pushing forward, writing on a temporary home. I will migrate these posts over should my blog come back. If it doesn't, then I'll re-register the original blog address and migrate them over anyway. No more dilly dallying. 

A quick summary of Days 3 and 4:

Day 3 - The Plague

Sickness has been knocking on the door of the Tandy household. Starting with my little boy, continuing on in lesser degree with Christina, and ending with me, nausea, vomiting, and other unpleasant aspects of being ill found open homes in our bodies. I was still at the office from 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM, despite having thrown up 3 hours before heading in. You do what you have to do. 

Aside from that, my car was in the shop for a gas tank recall, and they had me going from my luxury-line Mazda 6 (in the shop) to a bottom of the barrel Nissan Cube (rental paid by the dealership). The rental agency tried to convince me how much I would love the Cube, how people are always so surprised with how awesome it is. Not me. I respect that it's very easy to get into, and that's where it ends. The thing is ugly as sin, has weird interior design elements, tinny audio, uncomfortable seats that hurt my back, and an unpleasant cheap plastic and fabric smell that didn't help my nausea. I was determined to be near the dealership the second they said my car was ready. Sadly, that was at 5:15 PM. I got my car back though. It made me happy. I'm not materialistic. I swear. 

No writing. Spent my writing time figuring out what happened to my blog.

Day 4 - In Celebration of My Birth

It has been such a busy and stressful year, I opted for a very quiet birthday this year and taking care of some items around the house. I was tempted to go the Renaissance Festival in Ogden, but didn't feel like the drive and spending the cash for it when we still weren't fully up to par.

So what did I do? Christina got up with Levi, which is normally my job on the weekends so she can sleep in for a change. I still woke up around 7:30, but that's sleeping in for me. Showered, ate breakfast, then mowed the lawn. After that, I rested, pulled out my heavy duty tiller, and finally got the garden tilled this year. We did pull out a random potato we found first, as well as a row of parsnips we had forgotten to harvest last season, all of which were doing quite well and adds a bit of fresh produce early in the season for us. The rest of the day? While Christina watched Levi, I sat in bed, read, took a nap, read some more, and played a computer game over the internet with my brother, brother-in-law, and friend (Left for Dead 2 in case you were wondering). I did have an enchilada dinner (my favorite food!) and a great birthday cake made from scratch. I was still somewhat sick and in the evening was suffering from major back pain and a weird pressure, almost like swelling, the the lower right side of my throat and upper chest that made it difficult to swallow. It's gone now, not sure what caused it, but it lasted for about six hours.

Once again, no writing I had the time, but I didn't. I did work more on trying to get them to fix my blog, but to no avail, other than they finally acknowledged that some of us lost ours. Probably would have been more productive to actually write, but I find writing about writing motivates me to work on my books.


  • Total Pageviews