By day I work 60 hour weeks. At night I am a devoted father and husband to the world's greatest family. Somewhere in the non-existent time between the two, I am a writer. Join me from the beginning as I chronicle my adventures to become a successful published author.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 257 - The Art of Research, Part IV - Writing WIsdom

Today I reread all of my "Writing Wisdom" series. It got me very excited. Funny enough, I learned things rereading what I wrote! I realized I couldn't start up where I left off if I wasn't immersed in the previous material.

And there is the kicker. Anyone can write something. But what are you going to do? I suggest immersing yourself in the history of what's happened before (which was Part III's point). Maybe it's real history of a period or place or family. Maybe it's fictional. But make sure you have continuity. Why? Because it makes your writing that much better. You can toss in little tidbits and hints of things unseen to the reader, tantalizing allusions to some greater back story. And that gives you prequels, sequels, and a following.

Next week we'll discuss researching your audience.

--------
Writing Update:

One word: Explosions. There was pure awesomeness in the making during my 15 minute writing time-box today. You're going to love it!

0 comments:

 
  • Total Pageviews